30 May 1999


Exploring Port Douglas

  • View from our hotel room
  • Tobin relaxes on the patio
  • Daria walking on the beach
  • Today was a relaxation day - nothing was planned.  We spent the morning washing our dirty laundry at the Whispering Palms.  Then we walked up the beach to Port Douglas.  The skies were overcast, so the beach was pretty sparsely populated.  It took us thirty minutes to make it to the other end of the beach; by that time, the sun came back out.

    We headed down Macrossan Street - the main boulevard of Port Douglas.  It contained many restaurants and gift shops, but it didn't seem anywhere near as tacky as Kurunda.  We stopped at the Salsa Bar and Grill.  They were quite busy - it took 20 minutes for us to get drinks.  The waiter apologized and gave me a free beer.  I had the mixed grill: chicken, steak and sausages roasted over mesquite chips, along with sweet potato wedges.  Daria had fingers of chicken on sticks in satay sauce.  Dessert was boysenberry ice cream - delicious.


  • The last song of Carnivale
  • This was the final day of the Carnivale.  The festivities were held at the Marina, where we boarded Quicksilver yesterday.  The piers were filled with people and food booths, which were being torn down because the festival was almost over.  A band played on a yacht tethered to the docks.  When they played Men at Work's "Land Down Under," the whole crowd joined in.  We watched them in awe while eating ice cream.


  • At the end of Macrossan St.
  • The entrance to Four-Mile Beach
  • Tobin on the beach
  • We walked back to the beach (we long ago decided that the time spent waiting for the buses might as well be spent walking) and the late afternoon sun shone through the palms.  The mountains to the south glowed green through the mist.  Now the beaches had more people.

    Once we returned to the hotel, we arranged with the clerk for a late checkout tomorrow.  She recommended some restaurants nearby for dinner.  After a short nap, we changed and set out for dinner.  The moon was full, but it wasn't bright enough to illuminate the dark woods we had to pass through.  We brought a torch to light up the trail.  After a short distance through the dense vegetation, we made it to a dimly lit residential street.  Located among the houses was the Barrier Reef Tavern, which had two buildings: the bar and the restaurant.  The restaurant had a window where you'd place your order; they brought the food to the table when it was ready.  Drinks were ordered over at the bar.  I had a porterhouse steak that was a bit tough but covered in a delicious sauce.  Daria had prawns on rice.  We finished our dinner and returned to the hotel, going to sleep early.

    Previous entry Next entry

    Return to main journal page